Short story ideas and prompts are a great way to get the creative juices flowing, especially when you don’t know how to start. They can turn out to be the first line or a first paragraph of your story or novel.
All you need to do is, take one of these short story ideas, write it at the top of the page and continue writing in your own words until you finish the story.
Write a short story every week. They cannot possibly be all bad.
Rather than picking or choosing one of them, give yourself a challenge and pick one prompt every week. I guarantee that if you are feeling inspired, you will have a long list of short stories ready to be published.
- I hate clowns and the people who love clowns, mostly because..
- The day we decided to clone humans in 2050, with the help of advanced technology, everything changed..
- Every day of my school, I was bullied by this one boy who laughed at me and made fun of me in front of everyone. I left school and never looked back, but twenty years later I got an invitation to the high school reunion
- I don’t know where I am and how I will get home..
- When you step out in the night at around 3am, everything seems so calm and serene. But that is when I saw something strange in the sky
- You stay in an old and inexpensive hotel and as soon as you enter the room you see someone who wasn’t supposed to be there – a ghost.
- One day I woke up and realized I had turned into my favourite superhero
- I took a taxi and the driver told me the most wonderful story I had ever heard…
- I can talk to animals and understand their language..
- When you are a homicide detective like me, you get used to blood and gruesome death scenes.
- As soon as I opened the main home door, I heard water running in the bathroom. What I saw inside the bathroom was something I had never expected
- In the day, I work as a software engineer in a boring company, and at night I am a hungry vampire
- It was never supposed to work, but I saw a YouTube video to make a time machine and it somehow worked. I did travel back in time, but the only problem is that I don’t know how to go back to my original timeline
- A week ago, I killed someone and no one still hasn’t figured it out.
- The radio, TV, and internet were all telecasting the same news, there is a virus outbreak and people are dying. If only I could drive back home..
- I have known my best friend for over 20 years, I thought I knew everything about him, but then he told me he was a trained assassin.
- I have never been so confused in my life before, because..
- The most unforgettable day of my life was when I met an alien and everything changed
- For 28 years of my life, I thought I was an only-child, but then I met my twin
You are also free to change or bend any of these short story ideas. For a freelance writer working on a multitude of projects, it becomes very important to take out the necessary time to write something for themselves. Yes, freelance writing does pay a lot, and you won’t really get paid for these short stories, but they will end up improving your writing skills and infuse creativity too. Here are some more creative prompts for your inspiration.
Also, do share your short stories in the comment section if you end up using any of these short story ideas.